‘To achieve his best work the young photographer must discover what really excites him visually. He must discover his own world’
My name is Ivan Bernal Palli. I have been doing traditional wet darkroom photography since 2003 when I took an introductory course at my local community centre. Since then I have continuously developed my own films and prints as I never tire of the magic of the photographic process.
Since 2010 I make all my prints using the lith processs. Lith printing uses traditional black and white photographic paper and a special developer to produce colourful images with dark grainy shadows and delicate highlights and midtones. The results differ depending on the choice of paper and several other factors such as temperature or dilution. This offers the lith printer a wide range of possibilities for interpreting an image.
An important part of my work is the use of vintage cameras which, in my opinion, render reality differently than modern equipment. I use this combination of old lenses and lith printing in my attempt to make images that depict a different reality, images that open a little window to some place else.
- Group exhibition at Urbane Art Gallery, Edinburgh, within Retina Scottish International Photography Festival, 17th July- 31st July 2015.
- The Custom House Open Day, group exhibition at The Custom House, Edinburgh, 11th July 2015.
- ‘Corstorphine Hill, Edinburgh: 2010- 2015’, solo exhibition at Coburg House Art Studios and Gallery, 4th July- 11th July 2015, Edinburgh.
- AFUK- Association of Photographers and Film Camera Users, group exhibition at Zirovnice Castle, Czech Republic, 24th May- 26th July 2013.
- AFUK- Association of Photographers and Film Camera Users, group exhibition at Chotebor Castle, Chotebor, Czech Republic, 22nd March- 5th May 2013.
- AFUK- Association of Photographers and Film Camera Users, group exhibition at Chotebor Castle, Chotebor, Czech Republic, 22nd March- 30th April 2012.
- ‘Illusion and Chemistry: The Alternative Process’, group exhibition. The Kiernan Gallery, Lexington, Virginia, 12th January- 10th February 2012.
- FADU- Film and Darkroom User Exhibition, group exhibition. The Castle Theatre, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, 2011.
- ArtSpace2Let Salon Exhibition, group exhibition at 28 Spottiswoode Street, Edinburgh, 31st January 2010.